The girls had their last dance competition. I snapped this picture of my two girls who have danced at the same studio for over 8 years now. I hope this isn't the last time they dance together, but our dance future is a little uncertain right now and we don't know what the future will hold. I hope the girls look back at their experience of dancing together with good memories of spending long weekends together and cheering each other on and off the stage.
Brynnli competed Friday night and I watched the girls she was competing against. As the other girls were dancing, I was like, "oh no, Brynnli's dance is significantly harder than these girls." So I quickly looked up the divisions and realized Brynnli was registered in the wrong group. See each competition is different and her studio is the one who registered her. At some competitions if you compete in a level too above, they move you to your own division, but you aren't eligible for overall awards. I was panicking. Brynnli went on stage and literally did her solo the best she has ever done. She hit all of her turns and her tricks. I was so proud of her, but feared she would be moved to the higher category.
When they announced awards, they announced everyone in her division but her. Then they announced her in her own category alone. She got a platinum ranking and I was so proud of her. I explained what happened and she was disappointed, but she understood. This dance season has been especially challenging for Brynnli. Her solo has not done as well at competitions and her team is more advanced this year, so she has had a huge amount of growth this year, but it has really stretched her and her confidence has taken a little bit of a hit. I am proud of Brynnli for continuing to show up every day and do her best. She bounces back from challenges so well and it makes me so proud of her. And a platinum ranking for her last time doing this dance? It was the perfect way to end the season.
I realized after Brynnli's awards that she was in the same difficulty level as Makayla and that Makayla's dance is harder than Brynnli's, so Makayla was registered in the wrong division too. I ended up talking to the competition director about my concern, and she said we could move Makayla to the advanced division and she could still compete the next morning with no penalty. And I'm so glad we moved her because she got a platinum ranking and ended up getting 9th overall in the ADVANCED division!!
Makayla's solo is called "Thank You" and one of the lyrics says, "I want to thank you for giving me the best days of my life". I truly feel like dance has given us the best days. Dance has taught Makayla how to work hard, how to set a goal and accomplish it, how to bounce back from disappointment, and how to celebrate yourself and others. So Thank You for the best days.
Brynnli's team is all going to be scattered next year with girls going to company and different teams, so they got to have one last team dinner. Brynnli had fun with this team. She loved that she was one of the youngest ones and she was the smallest, earning her the nickname, "Little Brynnli"
I can't believe this dance season is already over. It has been a challenging year for both girls. They have had some really great moments and some disappointing heartbreaks. Dance is a part of our lives and teaches all of us so many life lessons. I hope there will still be lots of dance in our future. Maybe it will look different next year, but we will always cheer our girls on the stage.


No comments:
Post a Comment