Saturday, July 4, 2026

Hanna 5K Winner

We have done the Hanna 5k on and off for a few years now. Some years the whole family runs, some years it has just been me and Tyler, but this year may have been my favorite year of all... Let me tell you why. 

It was just 4 of us this year. Caden was the one wanting to do it the most because he is running with the cross country team this year and he needed to log some miles. Brynnli wanted to do it because she thought she was going to win. Tyler and I decided to run it, but I just thought I would try my best... I had no expectations because I haven't been running for a long time. 

Bright and early at 7 am we were ready to go. Some of us were looking nonchalant. 


The race started and Caden and Tyler were off. I didn't see them until the end of the race. Brynnli ran ahead of me for most of the race. I was actually really impressed with myself this year. Like I said, I have not been training for a 5K at all, but I found my pace and I was doing fine. First mile was not a problem at all and I was so surprised. At mile 2 I was getting a little tired, but I thought I could keep going. I just kept my pace and kept running. There was a lady that I kept passing because she would run, then walk, then run. Every time I would pass her, she would start running to beat me. Mile 3 hit and I wanted more than anything to prove to myself that I could run a 5k without stopping. You have to remember that for years I thought I was going to be a runner. I tried for years to train for a 5K. Every January 1 I would tell myself this was the year I would run a 5k without stopping, and every year I would fall short. This was the first year I felt like maybe I could do it... and I hadn't even trained. The lady that was trying to beat me fell behind in the end, and I crossed the finish line feeling so proud. For the first time in my life I finished a 5K without stopping in 36 minutes! 

Brynnli crossed the finish line shortly after me. I was so proud of Brynnli. At only 11 years old, she finished the 5K at about 38 minutes. 

I met up with Tyler and Caden who had finished the race long before me and Brynnli. I asked Caden how he did and he said he got 3rd. I was thinking he meant 3rd in his division and I was so impressed, but then Craig was like, "Caden finished 3rd overall!" I was shocked and so proud of him that I though I was going to cry. That meant that Caden won his division!! Caden finished the 5k in 20 minutes! I was so incredibly proud of him!!!  He has only been running with cross country for a few weeks and he was able to run that fast. We heard later that Caden was about to come in 2nd, but the lady was a marathon runner and she said to Caden that he gave her a challenge, but she wasn't going to let him beat her. After a bit of confusion, they posted the division winners and Caden got his medal. Caden's beaming smile says it all. 





 This was a 5k I will never forget. 

No comments:

Post a Comment